2010-12-15

Breitling Blackbird (Ref A44359) - Windrider Series

Talking today about my most recent purchase, the Breitling Blackbird from the Windrider Series, and the watch that is defiantly 'front row' at the moment when not sat proudly on my wrist, although that is always the case with new buys (well for a few months at least!).

Have to say Breitling is not my favourite brand, I do find many of their pieces a little too fussy for my liking, although I have owned a few Breitlings in the past and the pieces that I have had and the ones that I have today have been among my favourite watches. I currently have just two pieces, this one and another recent purchase, a Superocean Heritage 38 from the Auqumarine range which was bought new at the back end of 2007

The Blackbird that I'm talking about today is the second generation of this watch, I had the first generation Blackbird which was a year 2000 model that I had picked up 2nd hand. I really liked the first model I had but as soon as I saw the revamped version the old just had to go and make the way for the new!

The Blackbird sits within the Windrider series which I believe was formerly the Chronoliner and Nightflight collections which were amalgamated into this series. Most watches in the Windrider series are characterized by a dome shaped crown and the bezel with rider tabs (small rectangular raised tabs mounted on the bezel at the 3, 6, 9, & 12 positions).

The design and quality through the Breitling ranges is unquestionable and this Blackbird is no exception, this really is a beautiful watch! This version of the Blackbird was released in 2007 and a replacement for the original Blackbird range which ran from 1995 to 2004 and is a smaller/lighter watch. The new model comes with a Breitling 44 automatic movement that has a Big Date and Chronograph complication and it has a 42 hour power reserve. The case is brushed stainless steel which has a diameter of just over 43mm and a thickness of 17mm. The case back has also had a revamp and I really do like the design with 'Blackbird' embezzled across the centre. The Bezel is unidirectional, there is a screw-locked crown and the crystal is Sapphire. The dial is really a nice looking thing, one of the things that is a move from the older version of the Blackbird is the location of the Date which has shifted from the right side of the dial to the centre under the 12. I really do like the location of the date and think it offers something different and provides more symmetry to the dial, personally the date is not a must for me on a watch but there again I won't dismiss a piece just because there is a date present and this watch defiantly falls into one not to be dismissed! The Batons and Hands are Superluminova. I also really like the Bracelet on this watch which is a Breitling Pilot and comes in brushed stainless steel to match the case. The 20mm wide clasp is also brushed stainless steel and there is a flip lock that is marked with the classic wings and Breitling logo.

The fit and finish on the Blackbird is excellent and in my opinion it is not too fussy like many Breitlings can be, it is truly a lovely watch that oozes style and character.


Breitling Blackbird (Ref A44359) - Windrider Series

No comments:

Post a Comment